Saturday, October 24, 2015

Coral

Do you get a whiff of the floral,woody mist that I had earlier sprayed,sparingly, at the base of my neck, a little over my collarbone, while the day now settles in, sun scraping the earth, wind whisking through my hair? Do you care to smell the difference from two days ago? My heart hadn’t drawn into its shell back then, it didn’t want to be sobered up, but  you’ve failed to notice it, my love, this ocean that has been building up inside me.  Do you not see how I wear no other element to make myself appealing to your eyes, I’ve skipped the kohl that has drawn conversations to a halt , no taint of red on my lips,  no silvery bangles to adorn these wrists you would go on to hold, these wrists you would pin against the wall. I have come to you as me, no veils, no charades. 
But tell me, don’t you smell the flowers,have they always been a part of me ? Won’t you question?  Won’t you close your eyes, if only for a moment, and won’t you try to drift to the places this takes you? Won’t you swim in this tide of emotions, won’t you give in to the past? Don’t you owe something to it ?

They are all bottled up in my drawers at home, different concoctions, a little something here, another there.  I wore them on my skin, some,  years ago. And all those evenings,you were near, a little too near for comfort.  Don’t you want to remember? There were so many summers, summers where the sun would refuse to leave,  yet it never scorched our skin, it just lingered on, with the steady air that blew, never too hot, just warm enough. Warm enough to want to dig into ice cubes as we drank, to seek the cool frost that ice leaves on glasses that have just been emptied. 
The stars burned a fiery bright, and I wondered standing transfixed to a spot,  if it was the clearest sky I we had ever been under.  As i asked you to look, i saw you were staring, and not at the sky.
That was just another day, until the next one.
I never got bored,did you? I could trace the exact path you took to reach me, I could live through each second of those summers, again.
Nothing was not clear then. Not even with the fog that followed us when the seasons changed, when it became difficult to figure out who was sitting 10 feet away, but then who really wanted to know.  The golden lights that warmed the eyes, hung over low, over our heads. Walking was easier, with faces red from the cold, shivers of cold and gusts of wind going through the layers of clothing but those clothes smelt the same.


Don't you see it yet?



2 comments: